HYCU, Purpose-built Data Protection for Nutanix, Now Provides Deeper Application and Hypervisor Support
Comtrade Software Adds VMware vSphere Support, Efficient ROBO Backup from DR Target and Continues to Simplify Backup and Recovery for Nutanix Environments
BOSTON, November 27, 2017 – Comtrade Software, a leading provider of monitoring and data protection solutions for hyperconverged infrastructures, today announced support for VMware vSphere as well as deeper application support for Microsoft Exchange and SQL, combined disaster recovery and backup for Remote Office Branch Office (ROBO) environments, along with blueprints for Nutanix Calm Marketplace and beta for Acropolis File Services (AFS). The deeper integration with the Nutanix Enterprise Cloud OS provides customers with the simplicity, ease of use and management, and enhanced data protection capabilities they need for their IT environments.
“The power of the Nutanix platform continues to drive innovation for our global customers,” said Raja Mukhopadhyay, Vice President of Product Management at Nutanix. “The continued innovation that HYCU brings to Nutanix customers is impressive, particularly, in remote office (ROBO) environments and in environments that leverage Acropolis File Services (AFS). With HYCU, our customers gain the flexibility and choice they need in order to best converge their protection and recovery onto the Nutanix Enterprise Cloud Platform.”
“We are extremely pleased with the market’s reception to HYCU since its introduction in June. We know there is an appetite for customers looking for purpose-built, hypervisor agnostic data protection that is tightly aligned with their Nutanix investment,” said Simon Taylor, President, Comtrade Software. “By introducing choice and flexibility for customers looking to reap the advantages that Nutanix has to offer, it is critical to continue to advance HYCU and innovate with leading-edge application and hypervisor support. Now with vSphere, customers can rest assured that the same simplicity and ease-of-use we introduced with HYCU and AHV will carry forward for them with their hypervisor of choice.”
HYCU, designed to be as simple to use as 1-2-3-4, one-click backup, two-minute recovery, three minutes to deploy and four to learn, has been deployed by more than 200 customers and partners since its introduction.
Advancing the industry’s deepest data protection integration for all workloads on the Nutanix platform, IT administrators gain a powerful app-centric solution to support their hypervisor of choice along with cutting-edge Nutanix file-services and ROBO use cases. Key benefits of the new enhancements to HYCU include:
- Simple, Efficient, Intelligent Data Protection for Nutanix AHV and VMware vSphere: As HYCU is hypervisor agnostic, now customers gain the same interface and look and feel whether they are using AHV or vSphere. HYCU also provides application and VM level backup, but leverages the Nutanix storage level snapshots, avoiding issues with I/O latency like VM stun where the VM becomes unresponsive (stunned) because of the underlying data protection process. HYCU alleviates this by providing little to no impact on production. By using the storage level snapshot, HYCU has fewer limitations than legacy backup and recovery providers. According to the majority of HYCU customers, 95% of recovery requests happen within the first 72 hours. Based on these customers’ experiences, HYCU provides the fastest level of recovery with the least amount of complexity compared to any other data protection provider they have used to date.
- Efficient Backup Combined with DR for ROBO environments: With Nutanix and HYCU, customers get the best of both worlds. They get combined DR and backup, without requiring incremental human resources and by saving nearly 50 percent on the network bandwidth cost. Customers who need DR can set up standard Nutanix Protection Domains for the VMs and Apps. For efficient data protection, HYCU uses the DR copy to create to the original source when needed. As a result, customers get a backup without having the data from the source to the DR site and also gain granular recovery capabilities.
- One-click HYCU Deployment Right from Nutanix Marketplace: HYCU is now available as a ready to deploy blueprint for Nutanix customers right on the Calm Marketplace. Customers looking for data protection can now simply click to add HYCU to their environments. Calm helps orchestrate the provisioning, scaling, and management of applications for a true app-centric experience.
- Early Trials for AFS Backup and Recovery: Nutanix Acropolis Filesystem (AFS) users gain the first purpose-built data protection support for impact-free, agentless fileshare backup. HYCU leverages Nutanix Change File Tracking (CFT) APIs to perform impact free backup. It also leverages the scale out function of AFS to perform backups in parallel. Even the first full backup can be completely parallelized by the number of nodes the customers have in their systems. Traditionally, filesystem backups were dreaded because of the hours or days it took to backup filesystems and with HYCU it will dramatically speed up by nearly twentyfold. HYCU also saves a tremendous amount of computing resources for the customer because the traditional crawling the filesystem to determine changed files is completely eliminated with HYCU.
- Deeper Application Coverage: For Microsoft Exchange, IT administrators gain discovery and consistent backup of single server MS Exchange environments as well as mailbox level recovery. For Microsoft SQL, customers gain the ability to restore individual databases to a different MS SQL Server as well as the ability to clone full database instances for test and development purposes.
“Many IT administrators are looking for their data protection solutions to play a critical role not just for traditional platform owners–namely database and virtual server admins–but for the emerging new cloud admin role to keep their respective workloads up and running,” said George Crump, lead analyst, Storage Switzerland. “While the data protection market continues to mature, solutions like HYCU that are purpose-built for Nutanix platform users are well-suited to drive value as the role of the traditional backup administrator evolves and the cloud and virtual admin continues to gain prominence. For organizations looking at data protection solutions for Nutanix, they should seriously consider HYCU.”
Pricing and Availability
HYCU is currently available for purchase worldwide through Comtrade partners. List pricing starts at $1,500/socket or $999/socket for Nutanix Xpress Edition.
About Comtrade Software
Hyperconverged is all about keeping IT simple. Monitoring and data protection should be too. Comtrade Software empowers IT to take back the data center without breaking a sweat. Our application-focused solutions give visibility, to see beyond VMs into business-critical applications. We break through barriers so IT can quickly eliminate problems, fully and reliably recover applications and data, and deploy our products before customer’s coffee goes cold. There’s no waiting, no learning and no hassle. With 25 years of expertise and insights from millions of users, we make it easy to thrive in a hyper-simple hyperconverged world. Follow us @ComtradeSoftw and LinkedIn, and visit comtradesoftware.com.
For further information, please contact:
Tel: (617) 791-1710